Sunday, February 21, 2010

Tuesday: the day of the hike

We awoke at 7:15…or at least Grace and I did. We were getting a head start on the day. The day that lay ahead of us included hiking the through the mountains…and that’s about it! Aside from having realized the night before that I left my toothbrush in Kunming, all was well. Don’t worry; I bought one around 9am because I just couldn’t handle it!

After feeling pumped about the day ahead, we walked up Renmin Lu in search of some grub. We divided and conquered; Grace and I with our hot soy milk and baozi (veggie roll dumplings), Kim with her onion bread pancake thing, and Zach with his xiao juzi (or tangerines). We were off to a great start!

Around 10am, we had a van come pick us up from the hostel and take us up the mountain. The van looked brand new. Usually they’re somewhat dirty…or old looking. Nope! This one looked brand new! I wasn’t so sure though once I started smelling smoke as we slowly climbed the mountain. The engine didn’t sound so great either! I was just praying we wouldn’t all go up in flames!

We arrived at the take off point (cars can only go so far) and began our hike up the stairs (many) so that we could then get on the petrifying ski lift that would take us up…only about half way (the mountains were huge). I’m pretty sure that we were in the foothills of the Himalayas! As we hiked up the stairs, we were bombarded by people selling fruit and other goods. The fruit tasted so sweet. I’m pretty sure she must’ve done something to the fruit. I’ve never had strawberries so sweet! We gave in and bought a kilo of them and loaded them in the backpack. Then, the treacherous ride up the mountain began. I had to pull the window down just to get some fresh air. Ugh! I hate being that high up on a little cord that so easily seems like it could just snap! Somehow though, I’m not that afraid of flying. Maybe it’s being able to see my sudden death? I don’t know.

Good news! I’m still alive! We got off and had the privilege of hiking up too many stairs. My heart rate and body temperature increased simultaneously, that’s for sure. I was pleased when we finally reached the level that the path that would take us about 4-5 hours to walk and that was mostly flat…with no stairs! The sights were grand. Snow in some corners, and strong heat in others. The city spread out below us, and gondolas frequented the alcoves. We happened upon a little tented area (where it looked like people were temporarily living) and ate some fried noodles (or rice)…I can’t remember. BUT, I do remember that it was one of the best fried _____ I’ve ever had! Why was that lady cooking in the mountains? She could be making a fortune if she would hike down with her frying pan and chopping board!

After lunch, we continued on our way. Our final destination was about 13 km away from where we’d initially been dropped off at. That’s about 8 miles. We think we actually hiked a little more than that though…we’re going to say 10 miles! I had to use the bathroom or the “WC”—I guess they use the British phraseology (wow! That’s a word!). Unfortunately, the sweet little lady that cooked the “hao chi” food told me “mei you” (sounds like mayo and means don’t have). She pointed up a hill, as if to tell me, “Go squat up there behind the trees.” I declined and kept walking with my buds. After going around about two more mountains, I was certain, and so was Kim that we simply could not wait any longer! Kim and I began scouting out some place in the shrubbery to find solitude and privacy. It took some effort….like me climbing up off the nice paved sidewalk and grasping some branches (hoping I wasn’t touching anything poisonous) and at times using my hands to walk up the steep slope. At last, I had found the perfect spot! I’ll spare you the details…but I felt pretty proud of myself, as did Kim…a former brownie girl!

After a long day of walking, I was ready to just drop down and stay there for awhile! Grace and Zach kept us going though. We walked all the way from the foot of the mountain back to the ancient city. Remember that walk from day one? Yea…this one surpassed it. When we arrived at our hostel, I was excited to finally get a shower. I hadn’t had one since we’d left Kunming on Monday morning. Not too gross, but I was totally ready for one. Once I had, I was totally refreshed and ready for a night out on the town.

For dinner, we decided to walk in a different direction and wander until we found something that we’d all agree on. After wandering for about 20-30 minutes, we landed upon a rather noisy street (live bands and such) and figured that this hopping place would be fun. Well, it was fun…until Zach and I decided to go out and get drinks (they’re cheaper if you bring your own…and you’re totally allowed to do that). I found a store that didn’t have all the drinks we wanted, but I thought we’d make do, so I asked the lady, “duo shao qian,” and she told me 7 kuai for a little bottle of juice and for the water too! I usually pay 1 kuai for water and 3 kuai for juice! NO WAY JOSE! So I walked straight out of there…no shame…walked across the street and bought from the lady over there, who had clearly marked prices that were the norm. That lady wasn’t going to rip off this chica! Not today, hunny! Uh-uh.

We got back with the drinks and moved our table downstairs and inside…it was warmer and less noisy. Then we began a round of hearts. As our food came to the table, we ate and continued to play hearts. I got vegetable lasagna. I was expecting zucchini and some other kind of veggie (you know, the normal stuff)…but instead I got a Chinese veggie in my lasagna. Weird. Oh well, it wasn’t that bad…just a little stringy. The other three ordered Cheese Burgers. …Or so they thought. Haha. Out came their cheese sandwich, with fries on the side. It was goat cheese too. They all had a little hissy fit, because they were dead set on getting their burger, so they sent it back to the kitchen (after about 5 minutes of confusion). So, for Grace, when her plate came back out with the fries still on it (because she refused to touch the plate), she got cold fries and a little beef patty with an itty-bitty square piece of cheese on top. Glad I ordered lasagna!

After all that fun, we went shopping. Don’t worry, I didn’t buy anything (not that time at least). That lasted until all the shopkeepers started to put their old doors into the slots and closed up shop. We then ventured around to a massage place. The massage was good…but the window was open, and it was cold outside, so all of us were kind of shivering the whole time. No thanks! I’d pass on that one again. That is pretty much how night two concluded. That and I got to brush my teeth with a toothbrush, instead of my finger.

No comments:

Post a Comment