Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Rest and Restoration

Today was a day of rest from work. All of the staff went to Hui Du for a day of fun. There was bowling, ping pong, card games, billiard games, swimming, and badminton.We also had a delicious lunch at a five star hotel. A nice treat, for sure.

I decided once I returned home in the afternoon, that I did not need to go back to doing lesson plans and fretting about August 31st, the first day of school. I went and sat on my window seat and spent quality time with my father. I also read a book titled Lies Women Believe and the Truth that Sets them Free by Nancy Leigh DeMoss. So far, it has been a great blessing. In all honesty, I didn't really want to read it. Obviously the prince of this dark world did not want me to read it.

The first chapter is about the lies we believe as women. Many of us feel frazzled, exhausted, burned-out, overwhelmed, confused, angry, frustrated, discouraged, defeated, depressed, ashamed, emotionally unstable, uptight, insecure, lonely, fearful and yes, even suicidal. There is HOPE! The bondage that we are in may be bondage to our past, bondage to the "fear of man", food etc. The Son of Man said, "I have come that they might have life and they might have it more abundantly." Are we experiencing abundant life, or are we just coping, struggling, existing, surviving? We can be free, joyous, contented, loving, radiant, confident, gracious, peaceful, and stable. Isn't that what we would like to become?

In her book, Nancy goes back to the beginning of time and the fall. She states the obvious: you and I have been lied to; we have been deceived. Deception was and still is crucial to the father of lies. ...was a murderer from the beginning, not holding to the truth, for there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks his native language, for he is a liar and the father of lies (Jo. 8:44). We need to OPEN OUR EYES and evaluate what is going on around us. We need to take time to see a lie for what it is, rather than accepting it without thinking about what we are allowing to be planted in our hearts.

Nancy also points out the progression of deception that leads to bondage. Listening to things that are not true is the first step toward ultimate bondage and death. After we listen, we dwell on the lie. We begin to consider and engage the Enemy in conversation. After we dwell on it, sooner or later, we believe the lie and then act on it. It's like a seed that takes root, is watered and eventually bears fruit. Only, it isn't good fruit. It's spoiled and rotten. How do we get rid of it?

We need to identify the area of bondage, identify the lie(s) at the root of bondage and then replace the lie(s) with TRUTH. Afterall, the truth will set you free!

I have to say that I am going to be walking through this process myself. I have already begun to identify areas of my life that are not truthful. I hope that the light shines forth in my heart to expose more. I have to let go of what is comfortable. To truly be free, I have to let go of myself. I die to myself, that He might become greater and I might become less.

1 comment:

  1. Great stuff Jessica. I have read Nancy's book. My mother in law gave it to me. We need to constantly be praying for the Lord to identify the lies we let take root in our hearts. A wise woman once said, "we need to talk to our self rather than listen to ourself". So there I am; in my car, talking out loud; talking Truth back to myself, but looking like an idoit I'm sure. (it helps to hold the phone up to your ear to pretend you're not talking to yourself, lol) Love you and I'm so overjoyed to hear that the Lord is working in your heart.

    ReplyDelete