Wednesday, April 18, 2012

you think too much

I can't tell you how many times I've heard these words. Maybe not enough? I haven't stopped thinking, nor do I think it possible (I shouldn't underestimate the possibility of that happening one day, I suppose).

Today I had a thought. I suppose it comes with the territory of leaving a place I've called home for the past 3 years. It's saying goodbye to people that have been a part of my life, and places that I've been with people I love. My memories are always with me. I relive them often. It's both a blessing and a curse. I get a little panicky when I have to say goodbye though. I hear these lies that say, "How will you survive without this relationship? How will life continue without that person to talk to?" Though it's true there is never a duplicate for that person in our life, the extremity of "What will I do without this person?" doesn't really need to be there.

So...TODAY, I'm choosing to believe the TRUTH. The truth that is setting me free. (Stop with the cliche's, Jess)  Abraham had to let go of Isaac, his firstborn son that was promised to him. The one that he waited for. The one that God so divinely created in Sarah's womb. He had to trust God with his son.

Some people are hard to say bye to. Parents and family are difficult to walk away from and leave. Friends from various walks of life have been hard to part with. But what about the people you never intended or wanted to say goodbye to, but through circumstances had to? Those are the ones that hurt the most. You know that with friends and family you can always reconnect or contact. But the ones that you're restricted to contact? The ones that you can't ever tell you're thinking about them or praying for them?

I was reminded today that God knows my heart intimately and that he has given me every good gift. He has given the ones I love to share life with. But ultimately, those people don't belong to me. (Am I possessive?) The relationships I have with people are special. They aren't there to tear me apart or control me through fear of the future. Just like Abraham did with his only son, Isaac, God wants me to give Him back those that I love.

No comments:

Post a Comment