Sunday, April 15, 2012

你的名字 Your Name

Strong
Shelter
Powerful


Names are our identity. They have a long history of being extremely meaningful. Most parents pick out names during the pregnancy. My parents were no different. Only, my parents weren't sure whether I'd be a boy or girl. If a boy, Michael and if a girl, Katherine. Common names, but I like both a lot. Why'd my parents switch to Jessica Elizabeth? Well, no lie, mom was watching something on T.V. and saw Sarah Jessica Parker's name flash across the screen. She said to dad, "Jessica is a pretty name"...


In China, names are significant. Or, at least they have a history of being significant (though now, most are picked just for the sound instead of the meaning). They have meanings much like Native American names did. For example, Little Tiger小虎 or Beautiful Spring 春美. Whether we're part of one of these cultures or not, we still all have an understanding that names are special and are part of our identity. Being part of a new culture and language has allowed me to pick a new name for myself. It took many conversations with various people and a lot of my own research online for the right name. I wanted something that kind of sounded like Jessica, but that had a meaning that kind of described me. It's hard to pick your own name in another language. The name I first wanted was Faith in Chinese, or 信. However, Xin 信 doesn't sound like Jessica, nor does it always mean Faith. It also means letter. Like a letter you write to a friend. Um...not okay. So...the hunting started over again. After a year of introducing myself as Su Xin 苏信, and getting weird looks from Chinese people, as well as being told it is more likely to be a boy's name, I decided it was definitely wise for me to change my name. The outcome, a special friend finally named me a beautiful name, that never ceases to receive compliments...and it sounds like Jessica! 舒嘉怡 (Shu Jia Yi) is the name I now have. Shu sounds like Shoe and it is the family name or surname, so it totally fits. It also means comfortable when combined with another character. Jia means pure. Yi means happy or joy. Pure Joy? Sure, I'll take that! Yi- the last character is also the name of my friend Jenny here (my best friend in Kunming).


I was told recently that my name is beautiful- Jessica Elizabeth. I have always liked my name, but I can't say I've received that compliment about my name in the past. :) Often when we hear a name, it makes us feel a certain way. Being a teacher, if I hear certain names, I smile, I shake my head and laugh, or think to myself "I'll never name my kid that!"...Names from our childhood do the same thing. We have memories with other children. David was a name as a kid that I hated. There was a boy in my class that smelled bad and was mean. Since then, the name has redeemed itself (thanks to some classy David's...ha), but I still don't think I'll name my son David. All that to say, it makes me wonder what people think of when they hear "Jessica".


When you hear His name, what do you think? Many people start arguing. Some have a sense of peace rush over them- like watching a sunrise and sipping coffee while sitting on the beach. Some get defensive. His name makes others think "Strong" "My Shelter" "Protector" "Provider" "Powerful". What does Jesus' name make you think? What lasting impression are you leaving on those that are in your life (those that may only be in your life for a short time)? When they think of your name, is His name attached? Doing some soul-searching myself. We now also bear His name. What taste are we leaving in other's mind when they hear His name or our name?


I'd like to hear your thoughts. What does His name make you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment