Saturday, November 28, 2009

No Beating Around the Bush (Oswald)

The thing of which we have to beware is not so much damage to our belief in Gd as damage to our ChrstN temper. “Therefore take heed to thy spirit,that ye deal not treacherously.” The temper of mind is tremendous in its effects, it is the enemy that penetrates right into the soul and distracts the mind from Gd. There are certain tempers of mind in which we never dare indulge; if we do, we find they have distracted us from faith in Gd, and until we get back to the quiet mood before Gd, our faith in Him is nil, and our confidence in the flesh and in human ingenuity is the thing that rules.

That’s a scary place to be in. I know that I have indulged my mind in many things that deter my thoughts from being pure. Mediums such as movies, some music, even books I read from time to time…things like shopping, and materialism. Gosh! The enemy really is trying to attack us from all sides…and the main way that he can is through our mind. I guess that’s why the Father knew what he was saying when He told us to guard our minds.

Beware of “the cares of this world,” because they are the things that produce a wrong temper of soul. It is extraordinary what an enormous power there is in simple things to distract our attention from Gd. Refuse to be swamped with the cares of this life.

Another thing that distracts us is the lust of vindication. St. Augustine pryd—“O Ld, deliver me from this lust of always vindicating myself.” That temper of mind destroys the soul’s faith in Gd. “I must explain myself; I must get people to understand.” Our Ld never explained anything; He left mistakes to correct themselves.

Another good point, Oswald. I can’t tell you how often I’m tempted to vindicate and explain myself to others for my actions or thoughts. I try to justify it. Although they may accept the justification, He does not! It’s His standard only. I should be living above reproach, in such a way that I should never have to even think about vindicating myself.

When we discern that people are not going on spiritually and allow the discernment to turn to criticism, we block our way to Gd. Gd never gives us discernment in order that we may criticize, but that we may intercede.

Whew! Good point. I think too much in our churches we do this. I’m guilty of not interceding and judging instead. If we really loved others as we loved ourselves, and if we really cared about their souls, people truly loving the Lrd with all their heart, soul, mind and strength, we would intercede.

Hope you can chew on this today. It’s been in my mouth for a few days now. It’s like I can’t get the corn out from between my teeth. Chew on it and brush!

Ps 123:3
Have mercy upon us, O Ld , have mercy upon us: for we are exceedingly filled with contempt.

No comments:

Post a Comment